TAMESTRIDERS T.V. <link>
4,700 + photos here <take a look>
Counter installed 6/9/19
This week we welcomed another female player to King Street on an unusually sunny morning. Tracey joined the Denton Thursday crew and made an impressive debut. We hope she returns.
Read John Smith’s excellent report from Heywood Over 65’s –
and a few points in the bag for ‘the badgers’ <get sett>
This is the singer we have booked for our Christmas ‘doo’ at Denton Golf Club
See David Partington, or Gordon Nixon to book tickets at £10 each. Wives , partners and friends welcome. We’ll have food too, a quiz, and the presentations of Player of the Year x 3 plus other recognition in the form of trophies too. THURSDAY 12th.DECEMBER
The Badgers brought back 5 points from Heywood today in the Over 65’s GMWFL.
Striders achieved two goalless draws, a two-nil win and a defeat by the same score line.
We will have a report for you soon.
A ‘prestigious’ award for which we have been nominated
- We are currently in the act of booking Denton Golf Club as a venue for our 2019 Christmas party.
- The cost of the room will be borne by the group and this will mean a hot buffet will cost around £10 per head for players and wives or partners. Obviously those who only play at Ashton are also welcome to attend., along with friends of both groups.
- Please let us know if you’re interested in attending. Make it known to David Partington or Gordon Nixon at the next session.
- THURSDAY EVENING – – DECEMBER 12th.
- If you’re coming enter your name in the box below plus wives/partners/friends in total
- Could you sharpen up your culinary skills? – a friend of the group has asked us to publicise this venture…AIMED ESPECIALLY AT OLDER ‘MEN IN
- KITCHENS’ ! CLICK THE LINK TO SEE WHAT IT’S ALL ABOUT
- Men in Kitchens 2nd Nov ’19 poster
- Nationwide – when do we all play?
- Committee meeting report from 12/10/19 is
- Changes are afoot and it’s important players read it please <here>
- STRIDERS PLEDGE SUPPORT to the F.P.L. BOARD – <here>
- Having had the charity ‘Clic Sargent’ brought to our attention by a friend of the group, the committee was happy for the Co-Treasurer’s to raise a cheque for fifty pounds as a donation to assist in their valuable work, details of which may be found at the link below…
- < Clic Sargent >
- on the 9th. & 10th. December there are carol concerts taking place in central Manchester for the cause, and if anyone is interested the editor can point you in the right direction for tickets, which are priced at £15.00.
- A healthy turn out for the ‘healthy living day’ at Haughton Green –
- more photos <here>
- THREE TOUCH ? what’s three touch? a glaring omission – check here 🙂< FPL >
- Good coverage of the Striders in the Fair Play League in this months Correspondent
- I’ll have some copies in the van next week, not sure about glory but we got off to a good start !
- – –
New banner at King Street
- Record breakers 8th October – some ‘Stridershots’ on FLICKR <shoot>
- We are thinking of hiring an indoor pitch (with lines) at the superb Platt Lane complex in Fallowfield for a friendly game between the Thursday and Tuesday players – although there may be some interchanging. As we cannot rent on Wednesday we are looking at a Thursday or preferably a Friday for this fixture. It is thought it will take place in early December and it may be a good idea to return to Denton in the early afternoon and partake of a few beers in a local hostelry – the Fletcher Arms has been mentioned – they do lunchtime food.
- If we booked the pitch for 2.5 hours we could open this up to all age groups of players and arrange up to two games on the indoor 3g. If you’d be interested in taking part please enter yes or no in the box below plus your name of course. Also note any questions or feedback for this idea.
- Travel to the venue would be by private car at this stage.
- We could offer lifts from the Fletchers Arms car park
- (the pitch would be paid for from D.W.F.G. funds)
- EVEN WHEN WE PLAY COMPETITIVELY WE DON’T GO OUT TO ‘NOBBLE’ THE OPPOSITION SO LET’S NOT INJURE OURSELVES AT DENTON. ‘BOB’ CAN BITE SO LOOK OUT FOR THE BACK STEP
- I’ve had more bruises from this than three and a half years walking football. He’s claiming more victims every week so think on guys – don’t get too close for comfort – please !
- – – – –
- 8/10/19 today we welcomed Dave’s ‘TORQUAY TRUNK’ to King Street !
- Thanks for sponsoring some extra storage Mr.Fielding Jnr.- ignore the cruel jibes 🙂
- – – –
- FOCUS ON JOHN BOYLE…
John is one of our keenest players on Thursday mornings. He hails from Kent and was a long time supporter of Gillingham F.C. He makes a 20 mile round trip from Northenden to take part whenever he can, and plays the game in the right way. Lately he has been performing between the goalposts and has pulled off a string of good saves. The double fist-out is his speciality. Players like John make the sessions worthwhile and his enthusiasm for the game is undimmed.
- Long may that continue – take a bow John Boyle.
- – – – –
- Latest rating news from ‘youtube’ show more people are watching our videos for longer
- < check out the stats here >
- – – – – –
- NEWS 6th. October
- We have had permission to display a permanent banner at King Street and it’s been ordered. This should catch the eye of the very many people who use the facility every week.
We also await two new pairs of goalkeeper gloved for the Thursday sessions which may soon need four custodians between eight posts ! The transition to two games may mean a few weeks of mini-goals on one pitch to accommodate growing numbers. Ten v. Ten on one pitch is not really ideal and although everyone on a Thursday shows commendable restraint we need to take a close look at the situation. Everyone will get a full forty minute match of regular walking football whatever format we adopt. As for Tuesday’s it should be borne in mind that a second game is a bonus, not an expectation if numbers continue to grow.
- – –
Receipts are holding up well and the Co-Treasurer makes regular monthly trips to the bank in Hyde to pay in to D.W.F.G.’s bank account.
- – –
Thanks to Mike Caldwell who has donated a bag full of used kit including a full set of short sleeved Accrington Stanley shirts. Some of it will be at King Street on Tuesday so have a rummage and help yourself to a pair of football socks, or shorts. We will keep the Accrington shirts together as a full kit – thanks Mike.
- The proposed indoor game at the Platt Lane complex in Fallowfield is still very much a possibility. However we cannot play there on a Wednesday as that’s when the University side uses the facility.
- The committee will be meeting soon and this is one of those items for the agenda.
- Others will include annual awards and thoughts on another function around Christmas time. Please make your thoughts known at this weeks sessions if you want any other points discussed.
- – – – – –
- BREAKING NEWS in the F.P.L. <read>
- – – – – – –
- 26th. September and eighteen players at Denton Thursday as the Striders Over Seventies squad competed at Heywood’s GMWFL. The report from our ‘home’ ground is on the Thursday page from the menu. We hope to have Colin Fielding’s thoughts on the 70’s soon
- Meanwhile the F.P.L. League table is <here>
Checkout the 70’s Tournament page from the menu above to read of Striders’
opening day of the Autumn league at Heywood Colin Fielding reports in full.
All competitive walking football requires players to wear these – they aren’t expensive, especially if you don’t opt for leading branded guards. Please equip yourself with a pair for both Heywood and the Fair Play League
Heywood action ? – checkout the link below…
BREAKING NEWS 21/9/19
Tony Cravagan has been co-opted onto the D.W.F.G. Committee.
Nominated by David Wilson and seconded by Secretary/Co-Treasurer Alan Richards there was unanimous approval of this move. Tony has demonstrated commendable commitment to both Tuesday and Thursday sessions and it’s hoped his support, intuition and initiative will play a full part in the development of Denton WALKING football.
We are determined to maintain the correct emphasis on the walking game. Only yesterday our regular Referee and honorary member said last Tuesday games for the Over 67’s were a good example “how walking football should be played” We are not looking for perfect pedestrians but the pace must be reasonable. There is work to do on the second hour on Tuesday’s and that will start this week.
19/9/19 :- We had times at Heywood today when our over 65’s had their backs to wall,but our last line of defence didn’t let us down
- Both Alan Richards and John Smith report on the first day of the GMWFL Autumn league
- “Well worth a read” – he said !
- WHY HIDE OUR LIGHT UNDER A BUSHEL? – the group has been the recipient
- of special praise from some of those that matter most <here>
- 17th.September ~ Today’s photos – mostly by David Wilson
- <Autumn Almanac>
12/9/19 ~Steven Edwards from Manchester County F.A. visited our session yesterday….I had an email from him today in response to thanking him for coming over from the Etihad complex…
Afternoon Alan It was great to come down yesterday, thank you for the warm welcome. I thought you’re a great group and was so nice to see so many people involved and participating. Thank you for the report and the attached photo. Great group photo. I look forward to attending a FPL session in the coming months.
See you soon. Thanks…. Steve
12-9-19 ~ Good to meet Pryce Humphries at King Street today. He was driving a small tractor and re-invigorating the 3g surface with an attachment. He is of an age where walking football might appeal and watched his first game today. He also accommodated me in shooting a little film about drop kicks, which I’m convinced are legal under F.A. law , and maybe even W.F.A. – call them half-volleys if you like it’s a way of a ‘keeper clearing the ball – NOT restarting play which is a ‘goal clearance’ and something different. Pryce – who plays five-a-side and manages a couple of teams at Denton Youth might be trying the walking game soon and we hope to see you on a Tuesday at eleven am.
Another new man at Denton Thursday – full report <here>
- – – – – –
GMWFL NEWS: The Over 70 and Over 65 fixtures are published on the relevant pages from the menu above.
Unfortunately the system that tells us how many people are visiting this site has crashed and it seems highly unlikely we’ll be able to recover it. So a ‘hit counter’ is being added to some of the pages. Just before it packed up we were on 95,000 visits in three years and two months. Thanks.
but for now it’s ‘s back to square 1,2,3,4,etc etc….not that it really matters, well, it matters but it’s not important – a bit like results.
Last weeks visitor stats:
September’s Over 70’s Heywood league fixtures are reproduced here <link>
- – – – –
- 9/9/19 – Two new enquiries for Denton in the space of five minutes this morning with a Gerry and a Steve looking to join us on a Thursday and Tuesday respectively. Both will be assured of a warm welcome. A reminder to all that we need to wear Astro trainers on the new surface at King Street. The phone rang within minutes of getting home from the Nash Amblers session – you’ll of course find details of that on our ‘sister’ website http://www.nashwalkingfootball.online
Interesting research on walking football and our bodies !
Some photo’s from yesterday 3rd. September on ‘Stridershots’ our FLICKR pro account
Your local free newspaper with constant coverage of walking football in the locale –
In praise of three touch < view >
Editor’s news in brief...
The A.G.M. was held last week after the festival and basically reported on finances which are healthy and sustainable. Regular reports to the committee are made in the cause of transparency and regular members are welcome to even more details if they approach any committee member.
Other talking points mentioned the Size 4 balls we have been enjoying and not much else really. It was a very well attended meeting which generously supported and applauded the efforts of myself and the committee. Thanks to Chairman Gordon Nixon for presiding.
Check the ‘Sec’s Report’ page for a full rundown of recent events.
Almost everyone has signed on again for the 2019-2020 season thanks for being so prompt as we still have a couple of days left in August – Julie Walker became the latest player to sign on last Thursday – thanks Julie.
ENJOY YOUR WALKING FOOTBALL WEEK
Final footage is <here>
be warned, it’s a bit ‘brisk’ !
Well, 34/35 turned up and we had a reserve in waiting. A great success which you can read about on the Summer Nineteen page < here >
– – – – –
DAVID PARTINGTON is organising another one of his ‘curry nights’ at the Viceroy in Hyde.
Wednesday the 21st. of August the day after our Summer 19 ‘Festival’
email him at email@example.com
F.P.L. TEAM’S DRAW VIDEO TOOK PLACE TODAY 12/8/19
For the Secretary’s synopsis of events since the last players meeting in February please check this < link >
More players have joined the ranks of the ‘signed on’ for 2019/20
Mike Kieran , John Boyle ,Dave Cooper, Karen Bemrose, Mike Caldwell, Peter Collins and Terry Clarke join Allan Stone Eric Thomas and Steve Tomlinson join the many more listed (somewhere) below.
….and more today 13th.August – Andy Muir, Steve Johnson , Roy Smith and Eric Thomas also signed on.
Most of us know the FPL team draw is taking place tomorrow for Bees, Striders and Amblers.
The teams drawn will not be set in stone and there will be a limited opportunity for some fine tuning and trading between the three player/managers if they think it makes sense. Two players are on one of the tickets to suit availability needs. I’m (Ed.) on one ticket myself but may well be Refereeing instead, or indeed doing other related things but probably need to be attached to one of the squads should the opportunity to take part arise, and if selected, of course. We have 21 names featuring in the draw. Remember that if we are seven teams strong once more then some teams will play four games on one morning in half of the rounds. Flexibility, patience and understanding are required from everyone. With a nine man squad the opportunity to let the least used player take part for no cost is an option, as Striders did a couple of times last season. At this stage being in the draw is not a 100% certainty you’ll be included in starting line-ups. Thanks.
THE F.P.L. DRAW’S AHEAD watch the preparation video <HERE>
– also **Monday’s events will be filmed** ———————
——-BACK IN THE LOCAL NEWS AGAIN….
- – – – – –
F.P.L. ? wondering which team you will play in?
THURSDAY NEWS 7/8/19 Tomorrow’s game will be filmed and links posted on a national forum so let’s show how we Thursdayites play the game. Sadly Frank Matthews won’t be there as he has twisted his knee. We hope you’re fit for your upcoming holiday Frank and hope to see you soon. We know you enjoy the sessions and you will be missed. Allan Stone, Russell Martin and Jim Stewart have all signed on and were joined by Terry Clarke yesterday. Others have too but there’s all of August to do the deed and join us for another season of walking football.
Looking forward to getting back after a couple of Thursday’s away – Ed.
Footage from yesterday’s Under’s hour will soon be posted on youtube – you should know how to find Tamestriders T.V. by now. Sadly, Chris Turner picked up another injury and is likely to be out for a while – consider trying Thursday games for a couple of weeks when you are ready Chris. (nice camper van by the way – Ed.)
*BREAKING NEWS* Fair Play League sees Red ! <click>
Thanks to committee man and Over seventies player/manager Colin Fielding for donating a pressure gauge and umpteen needle valve adaptors to the group today – will come in handy when inflating these two beauties, newly arrived from Pendle Sportswear today.
- – – – – – – –
This fine FLICKR facility costs us £40 a year so why not check it out
today’s pics < FLICKR >
A bumper day at King Street with thirty three players six of whom joined the list of signed on 2019-2020 . Steve Foster, Terry Clarke, Dave Partington, Trevor Brereton, Paul Theobald and John Williams – joining James Stewart and Allan Stone who did the deed last Thursday.
We also saw some new faces. Adding to the Denton’s ‘got talent’ pool…
It’s easier now to list those who haven’t yet signed up again and that’s what will happen soon. You have untilthe end August to re-sign for the upcoming twelve months – thanks.
Reports on the ‘Denton Internals’ page have already started to come in and some photo’s will follow, of this maroon v. yellow day across three games.
– – – – – – – –
Some news for F.P.L followers on the Nash Walking Football website
DEAD RINGERS? Mike Kieran thinks so – what about you?
- – – – – – – – –
- another new pennant! – which like the other two was made and funded personally by Alan Richards as well as using reclaimed materials. No cost to the group ~ thank you – Ed.
More game video footage has been uploaded to our YouTube channel today 1/8/19
No nominations were received so the current committee posts remain with the incumbents for another twelve months. Gordon Nixon -Chairman Alan Richards -Sec/Co-Treasurer
Graham Brown Co-Treasurer – David Wilson – Colin Fielding – David Partington
- – – – –
- So far the following players have re-signed for the 2019-2020 season…
Hadge Cooper , David Fielding , Colin Fielding , Steve Tomlinson, Bill Lancashire , David Wenham David Wilson Alan Richards Les Gillan David Lees Alan Brodie Brian Stafford Keith Yardley Colin Cuthbert Martyn Heath David Gibbons Lawrie O’Toole David Moore Peter Dixon Michael Conroy John Gaskin Joe Bemrose Russell Martin Gordon Nixon Steve Wingrove Rob Lake, Bernard Roddy, Keith Oldham, Tony Cravagan Ken Dean Peter Quinn Peter Jarvis Peter Quinn: Update August 27th: the list is not exhaustive and a lot more names need to be be added. Very few players have not yet ‘signed-on’ thanks to all who have.
– – – – – –
FESTIVAL DRAW – please note we will probably need another team
important information & guidance – click to open the link below please
Tamestriders T.V. video cutting room is a hive of activity following the visit of the Bees from Burnley yesterday – first links will appear soon.
no sooner said than done – first half of first half < here >
second half of the first half ! < watch >
and the second half gets underway here <view>
and finally the remainder of the match can be seen < here >
– – – –
A message from Burnley Bees Graham Hill
“Just a quick few words from myself and the player’s of Burnley Bee’s walking football who would like to say a very big thank you to Alan Richards for the loan of one of their team strips for us to play a very good friendly at Denton. Thank you also to every body who helped with a lovely lunch, also to all players from both sides and Garry Pearce our Referee. Thank you so much for a great day at your facility, looking forward to meeting again and Burnley bees well played all ” – Graham Hill
- – – – –
- Some photo’s from todays friendly <here>
BIG day at King Street with a splendid Thursday session followed by a friendly with Burnley Bees. Checkout the reports on the relevant pages – look for Denton Thursday – and –
friendly-fixtures from the menu above.
here’s a photo of a converted penalty to whet your appetite…