ORGANISER’S REPORT – Bill Murney sums up the competition: <link>
Our shoot out makes the home page of Walking Football United !
Opening game v. Hartshill Strollers. Just six minutes of it before the rain came down…..
….Commentary subjective and possibly partisan <click>
First few minutes of our Vintage Celtic group game is here <now> Commentary not impartial !
It’s early doors in the plate play off final 10/11/17 – <video>
Later doors in the 5th. 6th,. place play-off &Vintage Celtic take the lead near the end <video>
GOAL FAMINE FOR STRIDERS AS STROLLERS TAKE THE CUP !
…over sixty-five’s Knockout…
Cold wind and frequent November rain marred the morning at Heywood for the Striders squad of eight Over 65’s. We played some decent football in patches but nowhere near enough of it. Too many passes went astray. Especially in the first match. We opened with a nil-nil draw against a fairly physical Hartshill Strollers from the West Midlands. They never really troubled Barry Smith but Joe Bemrose had a great ‘on target’ effort saved.
– – – – – — – – – –
Goals were as hard to come by as ever and the next game with Vintage Celtic went the same way. Equal possession, improved passing and a pleasant game to play in. Looked a bit like Derby County v. Sheffield Wednesday teams of old (I must STOP dreaming – Ed.) with Celtic in their new striped kit. The rain came down and the wind whipped up. Credit to our supporters on the touchline for sticking with it. Karen Bemrose is now officially a die-hard fan !
- – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- The third game saw Rochdale Striders take their only chance of an even game to beat us one -nil. With a bulky striker permanently goal hanging the Striders defence had to stay focussed, but a Rochdale breakaway was finished with aplomb by one of their more mobile men. Perversely this was one game we might have expected to win. Walking football eh? Bloody Hell.
- – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- We awaited our fate and it emerged that the next game might be our last of the day.
- The Plate play off saw another nil-nil draw with Blackpool Senior Seasiders, the force from the Fylde. Quite nippy on their feet and moving the ball well at times. They came closest to scoring but Strider’s passing was by now greatly improved. One or two non-intentional clashes left their players on the ground but there was nothing that overstepped the fair play mark. The resulting penalty shoot out resulted in a marathon NINE spot kicks each. Most on target but saved. It went round the six players then some stood up to the plate again in sequence. Peter Jarvis scored both of his. I had one saved superbly, then planted my second into the midriff of a decent ‘keeper. Barry Smith acquitted himself well in our goal, saving several. Gordon Nixon clinched it in the end. Click the link below.
- – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- This led to another meeting with Vintage Celtic in the ‘Plate Final’. Colin Fielding brought a fine save from their ‘keeper but once again they took their only clear cut chance to win the game (and the plate) so credit them for that. We finished sixth out of eight, but enjoyed ourselves. We competed well, stroked the ball about on occasion and nobody let themselves or their teammates down. A goal in open play would have been nice. We need shooting practice. All of us. Most games were played in good spirit with no overt nastiness to speak of. Given the ages of the players this makes perfect sense. Plenty of people stayed behind for the presentations and enjoyed the generous buffet. Thanks to David Wilson and Tony Cravagan for logistical support.
- Credit the organisers and those who travelled from far and wide to play.
WE ARE NOW ENTERED INTO THE NOVEMBER 10th. COMPETITION AT HEYWOOD.
TWO GROUPS OF FOUR. EACH TEAM IN GROUP PLAYS EACH OTHER (3 GAMES) THEN there will be one further game to see which teams progress to the Cup Final or the ‘Plate’ final.
GROUP A: Hartshill Strollers – Rochdale Striders – Vintage Celtic – Tameside Striders
GROUP B: AFC Blackpool Snr. Seasiders -Chadderton WFC – Rochdale Strollers – Wakefield
Out fixtures: 11-00am. Hartshill Strollers Pitch 1
11-20am. Vintage Celtic Pitch 4
11-40am. Rochdale Striders Pitch 2
THREE TOUGH GAMES ON THE BOUNCE. BRING NUTRITION AND WATER. HOW WE PROCEED WILL DEPEND UPON THE RESULTS OF THESE GAMES.
Squad as it stands: BARRY SMITH / BILL LANCASHIRE / GORDON NIXON / COLIN FIELDING / PETER JARVIS / ALAN BRODIE / ALAN RICHARDS / JOE BEMROSE /
ROY SMITH has had to withdraw under sad circumstances
Harking back to June…A slightly disappointing day for the Strider’s but were we dejected ? Only a little bit.
Widnes beat us 1 – 0 <video>
Chadderton WFC 0 – 0 <video>
Rochdale Strollers 0-1 <video>
Blackpool Senior Seasiders 1-0 <video>
The Final ROCHDALE STROLLERS v. WIDNES (incomplete) – <TheFinal>
password required for the Final footage ‘worthywinners’
email: firstname.lastname@example.org for the password please.
NOTE: COMMENTARIES ARE NOT IMPARTIAL – except in the case of the Final.
STRIDER’S DAY : P.4 W.1 D.1 L.2 F.1 A.2
Organisers account: <read>
I started the day deflated. As the radio alarm kicked in I learnt that what was a relatively secure and stable country a few weeks ago had been plunged into a political maelstrom by May.
They didn’t really. Although I was more disheartened by the politics than the walking football we never really got going at Heywood today. True, we looked magnificent in our retro black and white but the team photo was perhaps the most successfully structured part of our day.
Widnes got their noses in front, and as we barely summoned a threat to their goal we have to admit they deserved the win.
Team: Pearce (Capt.) / Cooper / Fielding / Partington / Smith / Jarvis
Team: Pearce (Capt.) / Nixon / Richards / Lancashire / Smith */ Jarvis Sub. Partington*
In the third match we found ourselves up against Rochdale Strollers once more. A good passing team but they certainly did not shame us. Edging us out one-nil in the end. The addition of David Wilson up front didn’t improve our goal threat.
Team: Pearce (Capt.) / Fielding / Cooper / Lancashire* / Wilson / Jarvis
Team: Pearce (Capt.) Nixon / Fielding / Jarvis / Wilson */ Richards */ Smith / Partington
Thanks to Tony Cravagan for his sterling filming ( I’m looking forward to the commentaries)and to Mike Conroy for coming out to support and taking some photographs. Great work Mike.
Perhaps we will be back next year – we may have a stable Government by then but don’t bank on it.
The semi-finals featured Vintage Celtic, who lost three-nil to Rochdale Strollers and Widnes, who beat Blackpool VERY Senior Seasiders by two goals to nil. It must be remembered that some of these teams had wafer thin squads of just six or seven. We had the luxury of having ten players, but of course that brings its own dilemmas, it’s own problems with the nature of our group.
The final was decided on penalties when Williams and Charlton converted both their spot kicks for Rochdale Strollers with Widnes missing twice.
- •- – – – – – – – – – – – — – – – – – – – – – – –
FRIDAY JUNE 9th….REMEMBER YOU NEED PHOTO I.D PROVING YOUR DATE OF BIRTH
AND UNLIKE WIGAN – A BUS PASS WILL NOT DO.
no i.d. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO PLAY
THE ORGANISERS HAVE BEEN HANDED A CHEQUE AND A COMPLETED OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM FOR THIS COMPETITION. £3 per player payable on the day (may vary according to turnout)
TAMESIDE STRIDERS Provisional squad – maximum TEN.
Barry Smith * David Partington * Colin Fielding * Gordon Nixon * Alan Richards *
David Wilson * Garry Pearce (guest ‘underage’ goalkeeper 64yrs.335 days- ish) *
Peter Jarvis * Bill Lancashire * Hadge Cooper *
If more want to take part we could field two teams with another three or four names.
MEET AT KING STREET DENTON 9.6.17 9-30am. OR be at Heywood Sports Village for 10-15am. please.
click for info but **ignore** the date shown
TOURNAMENT TAKES PLACE JUNE 9TH